The Miller Gallery is Carnegie Mellon University’s contemporary art gallery.
The Miller Gallery supports experimentation that expands the notions of art and culture, providing a forum for engaged conversations about creativity and innovation. The gallery produces exhibitions, projects, events and publications with a focus on social
issues, and is free and open to the public.
Since its founding in 2000, the Miller Gallery has presented
93 exhibitions, 2536 artists + cultural producers,
in 12 cities.
• The 2011 Pittsburgh Biennial was selected for the Best of 2011 lists by the Post-Gazette, Tribune-Review, and the City Paper.
• STUDIO for Creative Inquiry and Miller Gallery at CMU were awarded $50,000 from The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts in support of curatorial research leading to new scholarship in the field of contemporary art. With this fellowship, Andrea Grover was in residence and directed a book sprint to collectively author a publication on the current state of art/science/technology practice (New Art/Science Affinities, 2011). A related exhibition, Intimate Science, premiered at the Miller Gallery in and has gone on to tour in four more states.
• Astria Suparak was selected for the 2010 Leadership Institute for Visual Arts Organizations. Organized by the National Alliance for Media Art + Culture, the institute is designed to encourage and sustain visionary leadership in the arts.
• City Paper selected Whatever It Takes as Staff Pick for a Best of Pittsburgh 2010 award.
• For the 10th year in a row, Miller Gallery received support from the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts. In 2011, director Suparak received an Alcoa Foundation Leadership Grant for Arts Managers.
For articles about Miller Gallery exhibitions and publications, please visit each exhibition or project website.
The Wall Street Journal: "Insider's Guide to Pittsburgh, Pa.," The Wall Street Journal, June, 2013
ARTINFO: "A First Look at the Curators Nominated for This Year’s ICI Independent Vision Curatorial Award," ARTINFO, Sept. 10, 2012
New York Observer, Gallerist NY: "Independent Curators International Announced Nominees for 2012 Independent Vision Curatorial Award," by Rozalia Jovanovic, New York Observer, Gallerist NY, Sept. 7, 2012
CBS Pittsburgh: "Best Art Curators In Pittsburgh," CBS Pittsburgh, Aug. 27, 2012
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: "Top A&E stories of 2011," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Jan. 1, 2012
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "Artful Bounty: Revealing and relevant exhibitions deliver strong messages in 2011," Mary Thomas, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Dec. 28, 2011
Pittsburgh City Paper: "Best Super-Friends Imitation on the Art Scene: The Pittsburgh Biennial, multiple venues ," "Best of 2011: Culture and Nightlife," Pittsburgh City Paper, Dec. 2011
The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage: "Contemporary Curators Talk About the Field," Philadelphia Exhibitions Initiative at The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage, Exhibitions Initiative Blog, Oct. 2011
The Piper: "Expanding the Idea of Art,
Q&A: Astria Suparak Brings National Attention to Miller Gallery," - Heidi Opdyke, The Piper, Sep. 2011
CMU Homepage Stories: "Rising National Profile: The Miller Gallery at Carnegie Mellon University opens a new section of the 2011 Pittsburgh Biennial," Creativity in the Arts, Carnegie Mellon University Homepage Stories, Sept. 2011
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "Director of CMU gallery charts challenging course," Mary Thomas, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Feb. 2009
Rhizome: "Interview with Astria Suparak," Lauren Cornell, Rhizome, Sept. 2008
Pittsburgh City Paper: "The Miller Gallery's internationally renowned new curator, Astria Suparak, debuts her first Pittsburgh show," Bill O'Driscoll, Pittsburgh City Paper, Aug. 2008